Monday, October 26, 2015

Homemade Poultry Block

My birds (chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese) like to eat everything.  They follow me around hoping for a special treat.  It is so sweet.  These wonderful birds bring me so much joy.  That is why I love to find create new ways to give them healthy treats.  Just like every other animal on this ranch, my birds are highly spoiled.  

So far, I make three different treats, egg-based flock granola, gelatin-based poultry block, and bird bread.  Yes, I bake bread especially for my birds, but more on that later.  Each of these treats is gobbled up immediately.  

Making these treats is fun, and I feel good giving them something that is good for them.

Gelatin-Based Poultry Block

1 ounce plain gelatin
2 cups water, divided
eggshells, how ever many you have
1/2 Tablespoon Poultry Cell supplement or 1/4 cup Egg Maker granules
7 1/2 cups grain, seed, nut, fruit, vegetable
1/2 cup ground flax

Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water.
With stick blender pulverize eggshells in 1/2 cup water.
Heat 1 cup water to boil.
Add heated water to gelatin, stir to dissolve.  Add eggshells and supplement.  Stir to combine.
In large bowl measure grains and flax.
Pour gelatin mixture over grains, mix well.  
Allow mixture to rest for about 10 minutes to absorb liquid.
Repeat stir and rest 2 or 3 more times until all liquid is absorbed.
Press mixture in 13x9 pan, or several smaller pans.
Refrigerate or freeze several hours or overnight.
Place in dehydrator at 125 for several hours or overnight until no longer sticky.

Recently I made a raisin grain block with milo, corn, sunflower seed, wheat, and of course, raisins.
Also made a fruit block with milo, corn, sunflower seed, wheat, peach, pear, and raisin.  I used the juice from the can of fruit as part of the water.

Get creative.  Use any fresh, canned, or leftover fruit or vegetable you have as part of the grain mix.  Your birds will love it.

1 comment: