Monday, August 19, 2013

Scalloped Corn - Comfort Food


Everyone has favorite foods that just make them feel good.  For me, it is Scalloped Corn.  
My mama made this dish often... and I gobbled it up every time.  Even now when I visit her, I request this amazing dish.  I have watched Mama making this dish for years.  But do you think I can make it just the way she does?  No.  :(

Sometimes recipes are that way.  There is something special about the way someone makes a dish that just can not be recreated by anyone else.  

Her recipe used cream corn, eggs, milk, butter, and crackers.  When I make scalloped corn with her ingredients, it come out heavy .  When she makes it, it comes out light, fluffy, and delicious.

Browsing through all my cookbooks, I found a similar type recipe in this great little cookbook.
The Blue Willow Inn Cookbook

Corn Pudding
The Blue Willow Inn's Corn Pudding is delicious!  It is the closest I have come to in flavor.  I will never be able to recreate the wonderful texture in Mama's Scalloped Corn, but I can still enjoy a similar dish as often as I like.

It is a simple dish.  One where everything is simply mixed together and baked.


Scalloped Corn  (adapted from Blue Willow Inn Corn Pudding)

3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can cream corn
4 Tablespoons butter, melted

In small bowl mix together sugar, flour, and salt.  Set aside.
In larger bowl mix together eggs and half and half.  Add corn.  Mix well.
Add sugar flour mixture.  Mix well. 
Stir in melted butter.  Mix well.
Pour into buttered 9" round baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Let cool 15 minutes before serving.







Enjoy this post and others like it at:
The Weekend ReTreat    The Homeacre Hop

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of scalloped corn. Thanks for sharing!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    The HomeAcre Hop

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete